Speed camera fines – How to pay Spanish speeding or driving fine from the UK?
After coming back from a holiday in Spain, I received a letter from Spanish authority (written in Spanish) informing me that I received a speed camera fine for speeding.
There was some instruction that I may pay the fine using http://www.dgt.es/ . After spending more than half an hour on the DGT site with my credit card in hand, I was unable to pay the fine online.
To cut a long story short– after considering various methods (one was to send money to my former flatmate’s mum (who was living in France but near to Spanish border and who I never met in my life) then she would drive to Spain just to pay the fine.
I spent hours searching for further information online, trawled through various posts on Spain Expats forum but nobody could tell me the procedure of how to pay Spanish driving fine from the UK. It is worth to mention that, I came across to some people on the Spanish Expats forums, offering me to pay the fine on my behalf, if I pay them an extra 100 Euro. But I didn’t like the idea. So I decided to go solo and find a way to the fine before the deadline.
My first step was to contact the Spanish Tourist Office in London. I spoke to a lovely lady Called Nuria Riutord Lleonart, she took my email address and told me she was going to send the instructions by email. It seemed, they get similar type of inquiries pretty often.
The instruction email contained the following information –
In order to pay the traffic notice that you have received the following steps may be followed. The traffic authorities are reachable on the telephone number at the bottom of one of the traffic notice: 0034 902 508 686
1) You may ring this number and after you hear the recorded message in Spanish (do not take any options) wait to the finish and then you will get an operator.
2) Speak in English and then the operator will pass you to someone who speaks English.
3) Please, have ready your Passport number, The Num of Expediente (case number) of the fine (at the top right of the sheet ); also the date of the fine.
4) Please bear in mind that if you pay before 30 days have elapsed since the receipt of the fine, you only have to pay €70.
5) When on the phone they will provide you with the traffic office bank account details. eg. Iban and Swift number, for its use to pay the fine in a bank.
6) After the telecom the office will send you a copy of the fine to your home address, in your own language: English/Spanish and again it will say how to pay.
If you have further queries or want more clarification, we will be pleased to provide it.
Information Dept. of the Spanish Tourist Office.
I rang the Spanish traffic authority as soon as I got the email, as I was running out of time to save 30 Euro. I spoke to another lady from the DGT (I asked for someone who speaks English in English), she told me she was going to send me an English version of the letter with the Traffic Authority’s International Banking Code so I could pay the fine by doing an International bank transfer to their bank account directly.
After couple of weeks, I received another letter (English version) from them containing their bank details and further instruction on how to pay. I transferred the money using online banking, voila! That’s it! That’s how I paid the Spanish driving fine from the UK.
Also, I had to post a copy of the bank receipt to them (as instructed on the English version of the letter)
And oh I must mention that – after receiving the very first letter, I contacted the car hire company in Spain to make sure if I really got the fine for speeding, and if they have supplied my details to the traffic authority. I heard there was similar kind of scam targeting British tourists. So you should check with your car hire company (if applicable) before you pay the fine.
I made this blog post in 2010. Now it is possible to pay the fine online. Here is the step by step instruction of paying the fine from outside of Spain. Thanks to Nic Heald for his valuable input.
Update-2: September 2012. Updated the instructions with screenshots.
1. Go to http://www.dgt.es
2. In large yellow rectangular box on right click on
3. Next screen shows 5 icons. Below top left icon showing small picture of a policeman click on Mas Info which produces another screen with same but larger picture.
4.Click on 1st item to right of picture – Pago de Multas (Note also 4th item which brings up a screen which details points on licence according to seriousness of offence. I don’t know whether this applies to UK yet).
5. On next screen click on Pago de multas en internet
6. On next screen click on option a) in bottom half of screen – Pago de multas (sin certificado digital ni DNTe)
7. Next screen brings up a form in Spanish but click – welcome – at top right to convert it to English and then fill in form. For Document type (there are various options) I was told to click on Home Country Identification and insert Driving Licence number in box below but I inserted passport and passport number in the 2 boxes and it worked! (That way hopefully no points on UK licence although in my case I was not liable to points as a minor infringement).
8. Fill in rest of the form. The record number is the number at the top right of formal notice without dashes or punctuation. Then fill up the form using this instruction: (Hat tip to Ian Ellis for this bit)
DOCUMENT TYPE – Passport from the drop down box.
Having completed this form it shows all fines registered against your passport (FOR THIS REASON YOU CAN ASSUME YOU WOULD HAVE PROBLEMS AT BORDER CONTROL IF YOU CHOOSE TO IGNORE THE NOTICE AND RETURN TO THE COUNTRY!)
Payment details are then easy to enter and the screen quickly produces receipt numbers and a notification of payment for your records ‘JUSTIFICANTE DE PAGO DE SANCION’
Also insert full fine and then click – continue. Next page gives 50% reduction if in time. Then enter crdit card details and continue to payment.
Bingo, you have now paid but don’t forget to print off a receipt.
Gracias, El fin.
Are you in the similar situation?
Have you paid the fine successfully?
Feel free to share your experience by commenting below at the bottom of the page
Do you need to buy any furniture or homeware items??
Please visit Bonsoni.com , who has one of the coolest furniture and homeware collections, and use “MAMUN5” (without the quotes) on the checkout to get 5% UNLIMITED discounts on your purchases!!!!
The comment form is at the end of the comments. So you really need to scroll a lot to make a comment. Sorry!
I will update the site when I have a free weekend.
And oh – I have a twitter as well @M4A3D