Using Google Sitemaps can help you organize your site’s content and possibly make it more visible to others. Here’s how to do it.
- Right click your desktop, click New and scroll down to text document. Enter your website’s url information and save the document as sitemap.txt.
- Enter the pages that make up your site in the following format: http://www.mysite.com/page1
- Enter your sites information exactly as above, one web page per line. Again save this file as sitemap.txt.
- Save this file to your folder that includes all of the pages listed in your navigation structure.
- Publish your website again including the .txt file.
- Create a Google GMAIL account, if you don’t already have one in order to access the Google Webmaster applications for Blogging, Advertising and creating sitemaps for the Googlebot to crawl.
- Click the My account link. Under the My Services heading, click webmaster tools.
- Enter your website’s name in the Add site box at the top left of the page in the http://www.mysite.com format.
- Click your website name and the sitemaps screen will be displayed. There will be a link that says Add Sitemap; click this link, then choose Add General Web Sitemap.
- Enter the url of your sitemap. It should look like this: http://www.mysite.com/sitemap.txt
- Click Add Web sitemap and wait for the Googlebot.
- Use a sitemap generator if you want a more complex sitemap but this worked for me.
- Use Google Adsense to earn advertising dollars on your website and sign up to become an eBay affiliate and you can advertise using clinkspot.com
- Try signing up for Sponsored searches you can set your own budget and submit the desired keywords for your search.
- Creating a sitemap will potentially index your website more effectively. This might not necessarily mean a higher search engine ranking, that will be determined by the actual content on your page.
Article provided by wikiHow, a wiki how-to manual. You can edit this article and find author credits at the original wikiHow article on wikiHow. All content on wikiHow can be shared under a Creative Commons license.