Many people said that getting your new website to show up on Google takes a month or more. Not again. Using Google’s very own new technology, you can do it in about 3 days or less.
- Make sure that your website is ready (i.e. no broken links, has enough unique contents, etc). Optimize your website for keywords that are highly related with your website content.
- Create a sitemap file for your website. Sitemap file is a formatted file with an XML extension. It contains the URLs for all of your pages in your website. You can use free online or offline tools available to generate your sitemap file.
- Upload the sitemap file to your website root directory.
- Go to Google Sitemaps website and log in using your Google account. Create if you don’t have one. It is free.
- Type your website full URL in the “Add Site” field on the top of the Google Sitemap page and click OK.
- Click the “Add Sitemap” link on the right of your website name.
- Choose “General Web Sitemap ” on the “Choose Type” option list. Check all the checkboxes provided.
- Type your full sitemap URL in the provided field and click “Add Web Sitemap” button.
- Wait for about 2 or 3 days. Check Google by typing your website name in the search box. If it shows up in the result, it means that Google has indexed your website.
- Always use specific keywords and not a broad one (such as “fashion”, “internet”,”sports”, etc) in optimizing your website.
- Generate and resubmit your sitemap file everytime you make changes to your website. By resubmitting, you can always tell Google about your changes. Consult the Google Sitemaps help for more information of how to do this.
- Google Sitemaps provides a number of statistics about your website. You can use it to know how Google and people find your site. It is very useful to help you improve your website content. Consult the Google Sitemaps help for more information about this.
- After getting indexed by Google, increase the number of websites that link to your website and create more unique content to improve your website rankings.
- Make sure the proper DOCTYPE tag is at the top of the source code of each page.
- This method is only used to tell Google that your website exists and not to gain top rankings. To get a top rankings, especially on Google, a considerable amount of effort is indeed required.
Things You’ll Need
- A Google Account.
- A sitemap generator.
- A sitemap file
Article provided by wikiHow, a wiki how-to manual. You can edit this article and find author credits at the original wikiHow article on wikiHow. All content on wikiHow can be shared under a Creative Commons license.